A 3Rs-Innovation Centre at VUB
What is the Innovation Centre IC-3Rs?
The Innovation Centre IC-3Rs is a scientific platform at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) that promotes the implementation of the 3Rs in scientific research by using new technology and new approach methodologies (NAMs), with the ultimate goal to work without the use of experimental animals when this becomes scientifically and realistically possible. IC-3Rs aims to collaborate with scientists, public research institutes, industry, funding organisations, regulatory authorities and animal welfare bodies to increase the awareness about the 3R-principles, offer training and practical support in their application and develop new in vitro methodologies as alternatives to animal testing.
The goals of the IC-3Rs
Focus of the IC-3Rs platform is specifically on the following objectives:
- Inform academia, industry and society about the importance of the 3R-principles through public lectures, social media and an easily accessible 3R-website;
- Work with regulatory authorities to implement 3Rs better into legislation and inform the public. A part of the IC-3Rs website is specifically dedicated to the Brussels Region;
- Further develop the knowledge base Re-Place which centralizes NAMs for which expertise exists in Belgium.
Coordination of the IC-3Rs platform
The IC-3Rs platform started in 2017 as an initiative of Vera Rogiers, based on her pioneering 3R-expertise of more than 30 years and financially supported by Mireille Aerens. IC-3Rs is hosted by the research group In Vitro Toxicology and Dermato-Cosmetology (IVTD) at the VUB, Medical Campus, headed by Tamara Vanhaecke (www.ivtd-fafy.be). The platform sets and delivers its strategy and the use of its resources based on a 3-year program, approved by the IC-3Rs Steering Committee. The actual Director is Vera Rogiers. An (inter)national Steering Committee defines the strategic objectives, formulates project deliverables, monitors their timely accomplishments, and ensures that financial planning and risk management are well-conducted.
Composition of IC-3Rs Steering Committee:
- Prof. Vera Rogiers (VUB, Emeritus Professor Toxicology, Chair of IC-3Rs)
- Prof. Peter in ’t Veld (VUB, Pro-Dean)
- Prof. Tamara Vanhaecke (VUB, Professor Toxicology, Head of IVTD)
- Prof. Joery De Kock (VUB, Vice-chair Animal Welfare Body)
- Dr. Mustapha Najimi (UCL, Senior Research Associate, Adviser Promethera Biosciences)
- Dr. Joris Van Loco (Sciensano, Scientific Director)
- Dr. Bernward Garthoff (Bio.NRW, CEO)
Administrative and financial oversight of IC-3Rs is managed by the VUB. The yearly budget of the Mireille Aerens chair is approved by VUB’s Innovation and Valorisation Council as is the yearly activity report.
Vacature voor communicatie manager
In het kader van de uitbouw van het ‘Innovation Centre-3Rs (IC-3Rs)’ aan de Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB), zijn we op zoek naar een getalenteerde en gemotiveerde medewerker (m/v) voor de ontwikkeling en uitbouw van onze communicatie en organisatie.
Who is VUB-philanthropist Mireille Aerens?
logo by I. Philips, Medusa arts
Mireille Aerens is a very friendly person with a warm heart, not only for humans, but also for animals. She decided to donate a part of her wealth to the VUB. In 2015, she created the ‘Chair Mireille Aerens for the Development of Alternative Methods’ with Vera Rogiers (IVTD) as chairholder. As the dedicated founder of the chair, Mireille Aerens closely followed up the 3R-research of young scientists. In 2017, she helped to launch the IC-3Rs platform at the VUB.
Mireille sadly left us on 30 March 2020 on the age of 86. We lost a very dear and loyal friend, and will definitely continue her life’s work at the VUB. She made this possible in her last will, wherein she maintained her support for animal-free studies within the research group IVTD. Thanks to her personal engagement, the Mireille Aerens Chair and the IC-3Rs platform will continue and grow for many years to come. This beautiful gesture reflects her attitude to life. We will all remember her exceptional kindness and generosity.